Over the summer we have transformed our playground into an Edible Playground. We have transformed the school grounds by creating lots of green space for the children, including a running track in the middle to get our children active.
The school grounds are now a vibrant outdoor space for playing, sport, growing and education! By transforming our school into an oasis for growing fresh fruit and vegetables we are installing the principals of eating healthy food in our children, so we can tackle childhood obesity.
Once we have our first harvest we will be opening up the children’s kitchen (in our dining centre) to parents/carers so that they too can support the school in trying to encourage us in our campaign towards healthy eating.
Healthy eating and the new garden will become embedded in our school’s curriculum we will have gardening champions so all children will be involved in the garden. Despite there being potentially some problems in having a two site school we are now proud to say that we have two beautiful gardens on each site and two greenhouses for propagation. The whole process from seed to plate will shared with our children. Let’s get growing!
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
- 33% of UK primary school pupils believe pasta is made from meat and that cheese comes from plants*
- 10% believe potatoes grow on trees*
- 25% think fish fingers come from chicken or pigs*
- Public Health England estimate that 28% of children between two and fifteen years old are obese
- Diet related illnesses cost the NHS £10 billion every year
- *British Nutrition Foundation 2013